Department of Communication

Departmental Advising

Academic and Faculty Advising

Communication studies and media studies majors have two advisors.

College Advisor

Your college advisor can answer questions about CORE and college requirements (such as foreign language and methods of inquiry).

To schedule an advising appointment, call (937) 775-2601 or stop in 120 Millett Hall.

Academic Advisor: Shamon Green, M.Ed.
120 Millett Hall

Faculty Advisor

Your faculty advisor offers guidance and mentorship within the major.

To schedule an appointment with your assigned faculty advisor, please contact:

Department of Communication
(937) 775-2145

In addition to completing the required courses to earn a B.A. in communication studies or media studies, the Communication Department strongly recommends that you complete a minor in a subject area outside of the department.

Pre-Graduation Advising

Communication studies and media studies majors are required to complete the College of Liberal Arts pre-graduation checklist. You should begin this process after you are registered for your final term.

To schedule an appointment to verify major requirements needed for graduation, please contact:

Dr. Mary L. Rucker, Ph.D

Frequently Asked Questions

  • May I become a Mass Communication or a Communication Studies major with a 2.0 GPA?

    A minimum GPA of 2.25 is required to become either a mass communication or a communication studies major.

  • May I major only in broadcast media? May I major in public relations?

    No because the mass communication degree requires you to master the creation of media content across media platforms. The old days where students would major in one specific media channel (i.e., print, broadcasting, audio) are past. The curriculum requires you to take courses using print, web, broadcast, audio and public relations. This is a national trend.

  • Should I take COM 4320 Race, Class and Gender and COM 4570 as a Communication Studies major?

    No, because you are required to take either class; not both. This is an option you need to determine.

  • Are students finding jobs in the areas where they are earning their communication degrees?

    Yes, and we encourage you to see the business cards our graduates are mailing to us to demonstrate how their degrees are being used.

  • May I transfer my credit in communication from another university?

    The Ohio-approved TAGs courses will transfer from other Ohio public universities. You may request your academic advisor to have any communication course completed at a public or private university to be reviewed. During an academic appointment, ask that a communication class be reviewed and they will start the process.


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.