The School of Social Sciences and International Studies (SOSSIS) at Wright State University was established in Fall 2022 as part of the reorganization of the College of Liberal Arts. Ten academic departments were placed under three schools in the new structure, allowing the college to align existing programs with student and workforce demand.
A special and valuable learning opportunity awaits you in SOSSIS. You will find value in our school that extends beyond classroom learning.
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
SOSSIS programs offer you many experiential learning opportunities, including internships, co-ops, and study abroad programs. Some examples:
- Archaeology Summer Field School survey excavation and artifact identification while working on an active research site in southwest Ohio
- Dayton Daily News and other media source columns contributed by communication students
- Faculty-led education abroad opportunities to France, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Spain as well as virtual opportunities for modern languages students
- Model United Nations team has earned international recognition for four consecutive decades for its UN simulation performance in New York City
- Internship placements with the U.S. Marshals, the Ohio Attorney General, public defenders’ offices, the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, SunWatch Indian Village, Dayton Daily News, Dayton Dragons, El Puente Educational Center, Catholic Social Services Refugee Resettlement Program, local police departments, and other locations.
SOSSIS faculty, students, and alumni are deeply engaged in the community. Sone examples:
- Hosting hundreds of high school modern languages students for fun and instructive language immersion experiences
- Hosting the regional Rotary Four-Way Speech Competition
- Serving as regular guest instructors with the Defense Security Cooperation University at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
- Community engagement or service-learning opportunities as part of many classes
You can network with graduates from SOSSIS degree programs, including members of the Peace Corps, the U.S. Foreign Service, K-12 teachers, local government leaders, and nonprofit organizations across the country—and the world. Some other examples:
- Going on to pursue master’s and doctoral level education
- Major media organizations (Hearst, Cox Media Group, USA Today) as well as local and national-level media.
- Wright Patterson Air Force Base positions, including National Museum of the United States Air Force, the National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC), the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) and the Defense Security Cooperation University (DSCU)
Chair: Laura Luehrmann, Ph.D.
Associate Chair: Ksenia Bonch Reeves, Ph.D.
Associate Chair: Jung-Soo Yi, Ph.D.
Faculty and Staff Directory