Department of Sociology and Anthropology

Departmental Advising

Academic advisors are here to help you with registration, policies, tutoring, employment opportunities and more. Students receive a list of their general education and major degree requirements when they are admitted to the college. Students are required to meet with an advisor to review these requirements and sign the requirements check sheets. Advisor signatures are not required for registration each semester, but students are encouraged to see an advisor at least once a year to ensure they are on schedule for their projected graduation date. Advisors may also provide help with procedural or academic problems. Make sure you take advantage of this valuable resource.

Students newly admitted to the College of Liberal Arts (COLA) from another college within Wright State or transferring from another institution may wish to consult COLA advising. While students in the college are primarily advised by faculty members in their departments, COLA’s assistant dean and college advisors work together with the departments to ensure each student has a seamless transition into COLA.   

The College of Liberal Arts has an advising office on the first floor of Millett Hall. This is where you should go if you have questions about transfer credit, Core classes, and the content of your degree audit. Students who major in sociology or anthropology are also assigned a departmental faculty member as their advisor. You should seek out your faculty advisor for questions concerning the major. It is extremely important that you review your progress with your advisor on a regular, and at least a yearly, basis. 

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I get a faculty advisor assigned to me?

    You first have to have declared either anthropology or sociology to be your major. When the department receives word you have done so, and that you meet or exceed the required 2.0 GPA qualification, the department’s administrative specialist will assign you a faculty member from the relevant discipline as your advisor. You may also request that a certain faculty member be assigned to you.

  • What courses should I take as Related Electives?

    The sociology major requires that you take three upper division courses in a single social science discipline; these are NOT additional sociology courses. You can select from anthropology, social work, geography, urban affairs, political science, psychology, and economics.

    The anthropology major requires that you take two upper division courses in subjects considered to be related to the three subfields of anthropology. You should check with your faculty advisor about whether a particular course will satisfy the requirement.

  • I am a sociology major; does taking SOC 3400 or 3410 to satisfy the College Quantitative Thinking requirement mean that, to complete the major, I need to replace those credit hours with another course in sociology?

    No, when you take either (or both) of those courses, they count as courses in the major AND  automatically satisfy the Quantitative Thinking requirement of the College of Liberal Arts.

  • What foreign language is best for either anthropology or sociology?

    No particular language can be specified as being the best for you to take. You should consider what courses in a language you had in high school, and whether you might wish to build on that to complete the language requirement at Wright State. You should also consider what kind of career you envision, and whether any particular language might help your advancement. Ultimately, the decision is up to you.

  • I had a good background in a foreign language in high school. Do I need to start at the 1010 level and take four courses in it at Wright State?

    No, you only need to complete, or test out of, the fourth course (2020 level) in the language at Wright State. You should check with the Department of Modern Languages for information about testing out of a language.

  • I am an anthropology major. I see that the three introductory courses to the subfields of anthropology are all required courses for the major but are taken as part of the Wright State Core. Before I decided to major in anthropology, I had already taken two courses in Element 3. Do I still need to take CST 2410 (Comparative Nonwestern Cultures)?

    Yes. CST 2410 is the introductory course in cultural anthropology, and is a required course for anthropology majors. Similarly, ATH 2200 (Introduction to Archaeology) is required and satisfies one of the Core Element 5 courses you need to take, and ATH 2100 (Introduction to Biological Anthropology) is required and satisfies one of the Core Element 6 courses you need to take. One exception should be noted: if you were in nursing before switching your major to anthropology you may have taken ATH 2500, Introduction to Cultural Anthropology for Health Care Professionals. That course would satisfy the CST 2410 requirement.


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.