Crime and Justice Studies Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

On this page:



  • Is this the right major for me?

    Visit our Choosing a Major or Minor page to read about the Crime and Justice Studies program.

  • What are the requirements for acceptance in to the CJS major?

    You must first fulfill the College of Liberal Arts requirements listed on our admission page.

  • Which courses will transfer?

    Articulation agreements are listed on the transfer admissions website. Call a program faculty advisor at (937) 775-2582 to find out which courses apply to the major. 

    For equivalencies to the Wright State Core and  College of Liberal Arts requirements, you can visit Transferology at and run a Crime and Justice degree audit with equivalencies from another Ohio institution.  You can also consult an advisor in the Transfer Student Resource Center or COLA advising office

    As a general rule within the major (this does not include WSU Core and/or CoLA classes), you will be able to transfer in up to half of our 45-hours of requirements (for a 22.5 hour maximum in the major).  Additional major-related classes will count as general credits for graduation (students need a total of 120 hours to graduate).


  • Who is my advisor?

    Your College of Liberal Arts Advisor helps you to choose courses to meet CORE and CoLA requirements, as well as determine a sequence for the courses that will help you adhere to graduation requirements. Your faculty advisor is assigned through the program and will advise you on courses specific to your major as well as determine course substitutions and/or changes to your program of study. Visit the advising section of our site to learn more and to find out who your advisor is this term.    

  • How do I declare a minor?

    Go to your Wings Express Student Tab and click the Major/Minor Change Request. 

  • How do I change my major?

    Go to your Wings Express Student Tab and click the Major/Minor Change Request. 

  • How do I read my degree audit report?
  • What is a degree audit report?

    The degree audit report shows how your Wright State courses, transfer courses, and courses in progress apply toward your degree requirements. It can also show you how your credits apply to a different degree program by using the "what if" selection. The report is an unofficial summary of your academic record and is a handy tool to assist you in planning your future coursework. Your degree audit report can help you keep track of your uncompleted requirements and guide you toward graduating at your desired time. Your degree audit report is available to you via Wings Express and should default to your current degree program when you log in. Students should discuss this tool with their advisor.

  • Is a foreign language required?

    All students within the College of Liberal Arts pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language or American Sign Language at the 2020 level, either by satisfactorily completing course work or by taking an examination. 

    Crime and Justice Studies majors interested in completing this requirement through Spanish can complete SPN 2010 and 2020 or SPN 2110 and SPN 2120, Spanish for Law Enforcement Personnel. Once students have completed the prerequisite of SPN 1020 Beginning Spanish II with a grade of C, they can register for this sequence: SPN 2110 in fall and SPN 2120 in spring semester.

  • What are the requirements to be named to the Dean’s List?

     Students who attain high GPAs during a term are placed on the Dean's List each semester. To be named, you must have:

    • At least a 3.5 GPA for the term
    • Completed at least 12 hours of credit for graded courses in which a letter grade was recieved
    • NOT received a grade of F, X, D, I, U, T, M or N

    Categories are:

    • Honors: A cumulative GPA of at least 3.5
    • High Honors: A cumulative GPA of at least 3.7
    • Highest Honor: A cumulative GPA of at least 3.9
  • Is there a Crime and Justice Studies graduation plan?

    Yes, the undergraduate catalog entry lists these details.  This will be helpful to military students needing to complete their planning forms, such as 104R. You will find at the bottom of the page the Graduation Planning Strategy.


  • Who can I talk to about planning for law school?

    Wright State University has a pre-law advisor. Visit the pre-law advising website to learn more about advising, application timetable, recommended courses, and other resources. The current advisor is Dr. Wilson,


  • What are the requirements for the CJS major?

    View Crime and Justice Studies major program information and degree requirements in the University Catalog.

  • What are the requirements for the CJS minor?

    View Crime and Justice Studies minor program information and degree requirements in the University Catalog.

  • What are the requirements for the Policing and Investigative Studies minor?

    To complete the minor in Policing and Investigative Studies, 21 semester hours are required:12 hours from four core areas (Police and Society, Policing and Investigative Practices, Law, and Diversity and Ethics) and 9 hours from the electives. 

  • What are the requirements for the Forensic Studies minor?

    To complete the Forensic Studies minor, 18 semester hours are required: two core, one science and three electives. All majors, including Crime and Justice Studies, are eligible to apply for this minor.

  • What are requirements for a dual Crime and Justice Studies and Sociology degree?


  • How do I apply for graduation?

    The online Wright State Graduation Application self-service is available to you through WINGS. You must be registered for all classes for the semester they intend to graduate.  

    1. You must first meet with the Crime and Justice program director to confirm major requirements. After the requirements are confirmed, the director will notify the college advisor to release the electronic hold so you can complete the online graduation application.
    2. Go into WINGS Express
    3. Select Student and Financial Aid tab
    4. Select Registration & Records menu
    5. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select “Apply for Graduation” link.

    Visit the Graduation page in the RaiderConnect website for application and deadline information.

  • What is a grad check and exit interview?

    You need to schedule an appointment with the Crime and Justice Studies director to confirm major graduation requirements are met before applying to graduate.

    For an internal assessment, you will be asked to bring (or email) copies of three of your papers from any of the CJS classes. An exit interview will be conducted during this meeting to gather feedback.

    Once the requirements are reviewed by the College of Liberal Arts advisor, the "hold" will be released so the student can complete the online graduation application.

    • Crime and Justice Studies Grad Check Advisor: Dr. Lahm,
    • COLA Advisor: 120 Millett Hall, (937) 775-2601
  • How do I find out about the commencement ceremony?

    Wright State Events Services, (937) 775-5512, will provide you with all the details for walking in the spring or fall commencement ceremony.


  • Is an internship required?

    Yes. Crime and Justice Studies students are required to complete one 3-credit hour internship. Students should meet with an internship director one or more semesters before registering. Internships can be taken through the political science, sociology or urbanaffairs/geography departments.  

    NOTE: Background checks and drug/alcohol screening will typically be required for Internship placement. Previous convictions could hinder this process and/or future employment within this career field. If you have a concern, be sure to notify your advisor so it can be discussed. Given how strictly agencies screen applicants, if you have a drug/alcohol dependency or previous record you should likely reconsider a career path in criminal justice.

    • Convictions of any crimes of violence, or sex offenses - including misdemeanors
    • Serious felony charges that became misdemeanor convictions through plea deals
    • Marijuana use within two years; Marijuana sale within 8 years
    • Sale or use of illicit drug of any other type, including steroids, within 8 years
    • Prescription drug abuse within 8 years
    • Convictions for flee/elude, resisting arrest or any other crimes which show a contempt or lack of respect for the law or law enforcement officers
    • Defendant on a protection order
    • Active warrant or capias
  • Will I have to do an internship? it is really inconvenient for my schedule.

    The simple answer is yes. You should complete the required internship if at all possible because it’s the best path to an actual job in today’s market for college graduates.  Research has shown that, controlling for other factors, a good internship makes one more employable than a high GPA. 

    However, there are a few rare exceptions to this internship requirement for some students (e.g. if you can document that you have worked in a related field for more than a year we can make a class substitution). See FAQs about prior job experience. Contact your advisor or the program director if you have questions about this.

  • How do I find out about the internship program?

    Internships can be completed through the political science, sociology or urban affairs/geography departments. Visit our Internships page or call the program’s administrative support coordinator at (937) 775-2582 for more information.

  • When should I start the internship registration process?

    Signing up for an internship is not like signing up for a typical course. A lot of preparation has to be conducted so that your internship coordinator can work with you and our internship partners to find an appropriate placement and allow you to begin your internship at the beginning of the term. For that reason we recommend that you begin the process at least one term prior to the term you want to take the class (e.g. begin in the fall for a spring internship). If you are pursuing the internship through sociology, we recommend you begin the process two terms prior.

    Visit our internships page for information on how to begin that process.


  • How do I let the program director know about my activities since graduation?

    Send your “news” any time through our email address: or complete the Alumni Update Form. This information may be used in the annual newsletter. 

  • How can I donate to the Crime and Justice Studies scholarship program or foundation?

    Thank you for your interest in supporting Crime and Justice Studies. Visit our giving page to learn more.

If you have a suggestion for a frequently asked question, please email us.


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.