Both the procedures of the College of Liberal Arts and the School of Music, listed below, must be followed before a student may register for and complete an Independent Study in the School of Music.
Procedure for Independent Study Classes
(MUS 4810/6810 – Advanced Studies in Special Subjects)
If a student needs/wants to do an Independent Study the following procedure needs to be followed before the student may register for this class.
- Student must contact a teacher and have them agree to oversee the project. (Instructors are not compensated for their time on these projects)
- Both student and faculty must fill out the CoLA Independent Study Form, below.
- The form must include detail about:
- meeting times
- clear expectations
- grading policy
- basis for evaluation
- any other pertinent information
In lieu of this information, a detailed syllabus may be attached.
- The student, faculty and the School Director all must sign the form before it is submitted.
- The form is sent to CoLA and kept on file.
- This class and instructor is added to the system.
- At this point, the student may register for the class.
- At the completion of the class, a copy of the project must be given to the School Director for audit purposes.
- Instructor can give a grade.