School of Fine and Performing Arts

Music Facilities

On this page:

Music Wing

The Music Wing of the Creative Arts Center features Schuster Hall, a 250-seat concert and recital hall that seats 110. A 32-rank Casavant organ is located in Schuster Hall. Additional facilities include rehearsal space for choral and instrumental ensembles, choral and instrumental libraries, electronic piano laboratory, computer-assisted keyboard lab, classrooms, faculty offices and studios, student lockers, and practice rooms.

Library Information for Music Students

All library materials are housed in the Paul Laurence Dunbar Library. Books and scores are on the third floor, center section. Sound recordings are on the second floor, in the Current Periodicals & Media (CP/M) Room. Journals are also on the second floor, recent issues in CP/M and bound volumes in the south section stacks. Music reference books are in the reference collection on the second floor, center section.

Listening facilities are available in CP/M. CDs may be played on the DVD players at public viewing stations, or in the group listening room. Headphones are available at the CP/M service desk. CDs are also playable in any public workstation in the library with a CD drive. LPs and cassettes may be played in the group listening room.

Recordings of degree required student performances, recitals or ensembles are archived in the library. The library will make copies of recordings for a small fee.

The hours of operation are not the same during finals week, breaks, summer semester, and on university holidays; check the libraries website for the hours during these periods.

Loan periods: Undergraduate students may borrow print materials (books and scores) for 28 days, and sound recordings for seven days. Volumes of collected editions may be borrowed for 14 days.

There is a grace period of 20 days for print and seven days for recordings. After this grace period, overdue fines are 50 cents/day, to a maximum of $7.50. Bills for replacement are sent when items are more than 35 days overdue.

Your University ID card is your library card. Please have it with you when you check out items.

Course reserves: Faculty may place items on reserve for your classes. Print reserves will be at the library's circulation desk. Recordings will be on reserve at the CP/M desk (as will any scores that go with them). Reserve recordings will also generally be available online, so you can listen anywhere on campus or at home.

To access online reserves, go to the libraries website, click on Course Reserves, look up your course or instructor, enter the course password (which your instructor will give you at the start of the semester), then choose the item from the list for your course.


Student lockers are housed throughout the music wing. Several sizes are available and are assigned by the Music Office. The locker fee is payable online through the Music Store.

Rental Charges: $10 per semester

  1. Pay your fee online using the U-Store located in the School of Fine and Performing Arts website.
  2. Come to the Music Office to receive your locker assignment and combination.

Lockers are assigned according to instrument size and locker availability. Sharing a locker is not cause to have a larger locker assigned.

To open your locker:

  1. Turn right two or more turns and stop at the first number.
  2. Then turn left one whole turn past the first number and stop at the second number.
  3. Now turn right to the third number and your lock should open.

The School of Fine and Performing Arts supplies the locks on the music lockers. Personal locks are not to be used on these lockers. Personal locks, if used, will be cut off and the locker contents taken to the Music Office.

Items left in lockers at the end of the semester will be discarded.

Faculty Mailboxes, Faculty Studios, and Security


School of Fine and Performing Arts faculty, faculty associates, and graduate assistants have mailboxes located in the faculty workroom. If you would like to leave a message, one of the office staff will place it in the appropriate box for you.

Faculty Studios

Most School of Fine and Performing Arts applied faculty have teaching studios located on the ground floor (088CA, etc). These areas are specifically designed to accommodate the teaching of applied lessons and are sound insulated to aid in this experience.  


Faculty are reminded that Wright State does not guarantee the safety of expensive personal items like musical instruments, artwork, electronics, etc. Please be sure to lock up and/or remove all items that would be susceptible to theft or damage.

Practice Rooms

Practice rooms are provided for your use; however, you must pay a $5 key fee online through the Music U-Store. Keys may be picked up from the School of Fine and Performing Arts office. To assure the most efficient use of these rooms, certain procedures must be followed:

  • No eating or drinking in the practice rooms
  • Lock the door whenever you leave the room, even if it is just for a short break
  • You must take all of your belongings if you leave the practice room for more than five minutes
  • Personal items left in practice rooms will be discarded

Woodwind Reedmaking Room

The reedmaking room is specifically designed for woodwind majors to make reeds. Making reeds is the primary purpose of this room; however, it is available as a practice room although it does not contain a piano. This room is to be kept locked when not in use to keep the reedmaking equipment secure.

Room Reservations

To reserve time in classrooms, the Recital Hall, Schuster Hall, the CAC commons, or the CAC balcony, reservations must be made by contacting the School of Fine and Performing Arts office. To see a schedule of room use and verify checkout, see the Room Schedules page.

Smoking Policy

Wright State is in the mainstream of the national movement to promote a cleaner, more healthful environment by declaring a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not permitted in public areas or private offices. See University Policy 7230 for more information. Contact the Department of Human Resources at 937-775-2120 if you have questions concerning the policy.

Name and Address Changes

While it is important to inform the School of Fine and Performing Arts about changes in your name or address, changes must also be submitted to the university registrar to have the changes made to your university records. Change your address online in WINGS. If you are changing your name, you must go to the registrar’s office in 244 Student Union.

Program Biographies

Certain programs, such as ones for Concerto Night, Honors Recital, and Opera Theatre productions, contain student biographies. It is the student’s responsibility to submit a biography to the School of Fine and Performing Arts office two weeks before the concert so the office can give the student a proof to approve. Below is an example of an acceptable biography:

Joshua Baker is a sophomore Music Education major. He is a member of the Wright State Wind Symphony and the Wright State Saxophone Quartet under the direction of Dr. Shelley M. Jagow with whom he studies applied saxophone. Josh is in the honors program and is consistently named to the Dean’s List. He is a recipient of the prestigious ArtsGala Scholarship and is the elected Music Student President and Representative to the Faculty. In 2004, he was a winner of the Wright State Concerto Competition. Josh is active in the National Association for Music Education, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and holds the position of Treasurer for Alpha Lambda Delta, one of the oldest and most prestigious college honor societies.

Guidelines for biographies:

  • Biographies are to be no longer than 150 words; use the word count feature in MS Word to check the length. Biographies over 150 words will be edited.
  • Do not use contractions.
  • Biographies must be submitted electronically; hard copies will be returned to the student.
  • Style errors will be corrected, and we will attempt to be true to the original sentiment, but the student is responsible to proof the returned biography carefully.
  • Unless the student is a freshman, accomplishments from high school should be avoided.

Tickets to School of Fine and Performing Arts Performances

To encourage music students to attend Artist Series and other ticketed performances, music majors are allowed to purchase one ticket to School of Fine and Performing Arts sponsored performances for $1. Each student must purchase their own ticket; no more than one ticket per student will be issued. The tickets must also be purchased at the Creative Arts Center box office the day of the performance; tickets will not be sold for $1 at the Student Union box office. These tickets are not transferable. They will be marked and ushers will ensure only music majors are admitted if the marked ticket is presented.

The only exception to the $1 policy is if regular tickets prices are higher than the normal $10 for students, seniors and faculty and staff, and $12 for adults. The price for music majors in these cases will be announced.

Complimentary tickets are not given to any student performer for friends or relatives. Ticketed performances have many associated expenses and complimentary tickets are not feasible. Student performers are allowed to watch a performance they are associated with from the audience without a ticket during segments in which they are not performing.

Box Office Policies for the Creative Arts Center and School of Fine and Performing Arts

  • Monday through Friday, noon to 5 p.m.
  • On the days of our performances, the box office will be open for one hour prior to the performance.
  • All music events are general admission seating

Faculty complementary tickets:

  • Faculty members come to the Music Office
  • A special ticket will be given and taken at the door of the performance


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.