School of Fine and Performing Arts

Program Advising and Registration

On this page:


In coordination with the Office of Academic Advising in the College of Liberal Arts, the Art Program provides faculty advising and mentoring. If you are an incoming student, you will be assigned a faculty advisor and mentor. If you are a continuing student, you are free to stay with your assigned advisor or you may choose a faculty member whose discipline more closely reflects your academic and artistic interests. Advisor assignments can be found on the degree audit report or can be obtained through the art office. For assistance, email


Upon admission to the university and acceptance to the School of Fine and Performing Arts, you will be assigned a faculty advisor. The advisor's name will be listed on your acceptance letter. In most cases, your advisor will be your private (applied music) teacher. Please contact the School of Fine and Performing Arts if you are unsure of who your advisor is. You are encouraged to discuss your progress regularly with them and register for classes early to avoid last-minute complications with your schedule. In the case of music education majors, you should also check in with the music education coordinator, who will help you navigate a more complicated curriculum.

Although you are assigned an advisor, it is ultimately your responsibility to meet graduation requirements. Wright State uses an electronic degree audit reporting system (uAchieve) to help you track your progress, and your advisor will provide you with a curriculum sheet outlining your four-year course of study for your major program (these curriculum sheets are also available on this website). You should always keep current with your degree audit. Seek help early from your advisor if you have any questions. You can always be aware of the requirements you have met and those that remain. 

In addition to seeking guidance in the selection of courses, students are encouraged to consult with their advisor on any matters concerning their programs, as well as their personal and professional goals. Music education students are especially encouraged to also seek the advice of the music education coordinator to stay on track with more specific requirements. Please note, most music faculty and advisors are prohibited from discussing a student's progress with anyone. This includes family and caregivers. [Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974]


The School of Fine and Performing Arts wants to ensure our students complete their program of study in the shortest time possible. To help students accomplish this, the school requires all students to have their advisors help the students register for the correct classes each semester. These are the steps for registering for classes:

  1. Schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor to discuss and plan your next semester’s schedule
  2. Your advisor must sign the completed registration form
  3. To register for classes you have two options:
    1. Online registration: Most students are eligible to register online through WINGS Express. Some music classes may have restrictions, such as program restriction or instructor approval. In this case, you need to get the instructor’s signature on a registration form and give it to the music office. After the office enters the approval, you will be able to register online. Please note that the office does not register your classes; you must do that yourself.
    2. In Person Registration at Enrollment Services (RaiderConnect): Take your completed and signed registration form to Enrollment Services (RaiderConnect), located in the Student Union.
  4. Always check your registration online to be sure you are registered for the correct courses, the correct section number of each course, and all of the courses you plan to attend. If you find a problem with your schedule, go to your advisor immediately to have the problem corrected. The sooner problems are addressed, the easier they are to correct. You are ultimately responsible for registration and completion of your degree plan.
  5. Faculty are responsible to check their class lists to make sure all students are registered, especially in the area of Applied Music (MUA) courses, and that students receive the correct amount of lesson time (1/2 hour or 1 hour) for the class in which they have registered. Adjunct and overload pay is figured based on course registration, not on how much time was spent in lessons.
  6. Any faculty member or student who does not understand these important policies is encouraged to see the School of Fine and Performing Arts chair for clarification.

Majors and/or Minors

It is important to be sure the university has recorded your correct major and/or minor. This can be checked by going to WINGS and going to the Registration Information Checklist. The checklist will have your major and, if applicable, your minor and second major. If one of these listings is incorrect, come to the School of Music office to get the listing changed.

Time Limitations for Degree Completion

All requirements for music degrees should be completed within seven years of the date the student is admitted to the School of Fine and Performing Arts.

Students not enrolled for more than one calendar year must re-audition.

Students may petition the director of the School of Fine and Performing Arts for an extension. 

Students who do not complete the degree requirements within seven years will automatically be considered inactive.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I become a music student?

    If you are interested in pursuing a career in a music-related field, you should consider being a music major.
    This will require a special application to the Music Program and an audition.
    The application process, along with an online application, is in the Admissions section of our site.

    The auditions scheduled this year for students starting college in the Fall Semester are:

    Admission and Scholarship Consideration

    • Saturday, February 3, 2018
    • Saturday, March 10, 2018

    Admission Only

    • Saturday, April 7, 2018

    If you are planning to major in another area but would like to continue to perform in a music ensemble there are many opportunities to do so. Some of these ensembles accept student by audition but others are open to any student and only require the student to register for the class. Auditions for those ensembles that require an audition are all done during the first week of classes in the Fall Semester of each year.

  • If I'm not a music major, may I take classes in the Music Program?

    Absolutely! There are a variety of classes in music open to students majoring in areas other than music. Some are ensembles (see above). Others are an option for general education credits. Still others are available for general interest. Check the Undergraduate Catalog for specifics. View courses in Music (MUS), Music: Applied Music (MUA), Music: Ensembles (MUE).

  • How well do I need to be able to play an instrument or sing to become a music major?

    Someone interested in pursuing a career in music should have a serious commitment to music. Typically this includes several years of musical study and performance on their instrument/voice. This is the reason for the music audition required for acceptance as a music major. We want all students who are accepted as music majors to be successful.

    There are occasions, however, when this type of preparation has not occurred. If you feel there are special circumstances in your case, contact someone (Amy Neace or a member of the faculty) in the Music Program.

  • Does the Music Program offer scholarships?

    Yes! The same audition used to enter the Music Program may also be used to qualify for a scholarship. All scholarships are based on merit, and some are based also on financial need. Scholarships auditions are scheduled for the first two audition days of the year. If interested, audition on one of these days. Funds left over may be awarded at a later date, but this is not guaranteed.

  • Do I need to audition to become a music student?

    Yes. The auditions scheduled this year (for students starting college in Fall) are:

    Admission and Scholarship Consideration

    • Saturday, February 3, 2018
    • Saturday, March 10, 2018

    Admission Only

    • Saturday, April 7, 2018

    Complete the Music Program application under the Admissions tab to select an audition date.


  • Does the Music Program offer graduate degrees?

    Yes. There are three degrees:

    • Master of Music in Music Education
    • Master of Music in Performance
    • Master of Humanities in Music

    Go to the Music Program Graduate Programs Overview page for more information.

  • Who are the applied faculty in the Music Program?

    Applied instructors are listed by area in the People section of our website.

  • Now that I have been accepted to Wright State and the Music Program, how do I register for fall classes and get credit for transfer classes, AP, and College Credit Plus?

    Wright State holds several summer orientation sessions. During these sessions, you will meet other incoming students, learn about the campus and university, and meet a music advisor who will help you register for fall classes and answer all your questions. You will find out about these sessions through a mailing from Orientation.

    If you have transfer courses, advanced placement courses, or College Credit Plus courses, the music advisor will help you schedule with these in mind.

    The most commonly asked questions relate to MUS 1010 Music Theory.  

    A significant percentage of Music Program freshman come to Wright State with some knowledge of music theory. This knowledge comes from private study, courses in high school, AP courses, and College Credit Plus courses. We recommend that every incoming music major meet with our freshman theory advisor, Steven Aldredge. He will access your skills and make sure you are correctly placed.

    Some students are able to test out of some or all of MUS 1010. This is why our degrees require MUS 1010 as a prerequisite for MUS 1020 (Spring Semester). If you are not confident about your theory skills (part writing, chordal analysis, keys, scales, and other basic fundamentals), we strongly suggest that you take MUS 1010. This course will strengthen your foundation and prepare you for the more advanced theory courses.

  • When will I audition for the various Music Program ensembles?

    Auditions for all vocal and instrumental ensembles take place during the first week, sometimes as early as the first day, of fall classes. In late August, ensemble directors will send you a letter with more details regarding auditions.

  • Who do I contact if I need a school-loaned instrument?

    The Music Program has loan instruments available to music students. There is a fee for the use of these instruments and it is usually difficult to use them over the summer because they are sent out for maintenance and repair. For more information on loaned instruments, contact Dr. Gretchen McNamara, include University Instrument in the subject line.


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.