Jerry Noble, director
The Wright State University Percussion Ensemble is pleased to announce it’s 2011-2012 repertoire and guest artist line-up. This year will feature performances with Keith Aleo (Director of Education, Zildjian) and Bob Becker (NEXUS). Works programmed this year include compositions by Steve Reich, Daniel Levitan, Mark Ford, Bob Becker, John Cage, Brett Dietz, and a world premier composed by Eastman Percussion Professor, Michael Burritt.
Recital and percussion ensemble repertoire programmed this year include: Drumming by Reich, Divertimento for Marimba and Saxophone by Yuyama, Rebonds A and B, Conversations by Miyoshi, Omphalo Centric Lecture, Mudra, Northern Lights by Ewazen, Canned Heat by Kopetzki, works by Levitan, etc.
In past years the percussion ensemble has been featured the Ohio Day of Percussion, the Ohio Music Educator’s Convention, WSU Arts Fair, WSU Arts Gala, and educational presentations throughout the region. Members of the WSU Percussion Ensemble and former student’s of Mr. Noble have performed with or currently hold positions with Blue Man Group, Blast! Dallas Brass, Summit Brass, the USAF Band of Flight, the Dayton Philharmonic, Fort Wayne Philharmonic, Champaign Urbana Symphony, Boulder Philharmonic, Colorado Music Festival, Cleveland Pops, Richmond (IN) Symphony, Springfield Symphony, Dayton Philharmonic Concert Band, various cruise lines, and other orchestras and military bands throughout the US. Former students have also been featured performers at the Aspen Music Festival, National Repertory Orchestra, Chataqua Institute, Brevard Music Center, Eastern Music Festival, the Masterworks Festival, and Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp.
Members of WSU percussion and former students of Mr. Noble’s have taught or currently teach at: Carolina Crown, Madison Scouts, Rhythm X, IU Drumline, Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps, Centerville HS, Stivers Arts Magnet School, Miami University, or have had teaching assistantships at: Indiana University, University of Illinois, Michigan State, University of Kansas, etc. Past guest clinicians that have appeared on campus to teach or perform include: Peter Erskine, Nancy Zeltsman, Percussion Group Cincinnati, Rich Redmond, Kevin Bobo, Jim Rupp, Gwen Thrasher, Ayano Kataoko, David Fishlock, Leigh Howard Stevens, Janis Potter, Ji Hye Jung, Jim Culley, Keith Aleo, Paul Yancich, Ricardo Flores, Jeff Queen, Rob Ferguson, and Bill Platt.
A partial list of previously performed pieces:
- Marimba Quartet: Matthew Briggs
- Living Room Music: John Cage
- Terra Cotta Warriors: James Campbell
- Vespertine Formations: Christopher Deane
- Fanfare for the Return of Shadow: Brett Dietz
- Rock Etude #7: Douglas/Udow
- Gymel: William Duckworth
- Stubernic: Mark Ford
- Apple Blossom: Peter Garland
- Raptures of Undream: Bruce Hamilton
- Surface Tension: David Hollinden
- Whole Toy Laid Down: David Hollinden
- Threads: Paul Lansky
- Marimba Quartet: Daniel Levitan
- Musique de Tables: Thierry de Mey
- Marimba Spiritual: Minoru Miki
- Liftoff: Russell Peck
- Music for Pieces of Wood: Steve Reich
- Nagoya Marimbas: Steve Reich
- Six Marimbas: Steve Reich
- Bonham: Christopher Rouse
- Ku-ka Ilimoku: Christopher Rouse
- Ogoun Badagris: Christopher Rouse
- Akadinda Trio: Emmanuel Sejourne
- Ritual Music: David Skidmore
- Vertical River: Blake Tyson
- Omphalo Centric Lecture Matthew Briggs: Nigel Westlake