School of Humanities and Cultural Studies

Program Advising

On this page:


All English majors are assigned a faculty academic advisor who will guide you through your major program and provide advice regarding careers and graduate study. Your faculty advisor is the first person listed on your degree audit report. You can find out your advisor’s email address and telephone number on our Faculty and Staff Directory webpage. To ensure that you take the appropriate courses, you are strongly encouraged to meet with your faculty advisor at least once a year prior to scheduling your courses. Students in the Integrated Language Arts concentration should meet with their faculty advisor upon admission to the program and every semester thereafter. The department offers drop-in advising twice yearly during COLA Advising Days. An email is sent to every active major at least one week prior to the event.

  • If you do not have an assigned faculty advisor, please contact the department by emailing
  • Early in the semester before you graduate, you will need to schedule a meeting for a graduation check with your departmental advisor or with Dr. Alpana Sharma the chair of the School of Humanities and Cultural Studies. She can also help you if you have problems contacting your advisor or if you would like to change to a new advisor.
  • If you have questions about the Wright State Core or college requirements, you may also contact Mike Khasawneh, academic advisor in the College of Liberal Arts.

Integrated Language Arts Majors

If you would like to learn more about the Integrated Language Arts (ILA) program or set up an informational session, please contact Dr. Angela Johnson ( or the school chair (

COLA Advisor

Mike Khasawneh

Advising in Major English: Integrated Language Arts

Once you are officially in the ILA program, your degree audit report will first list your advisor and then list the English department chair. At this time, you must see an ILA advisor for program-specific forms and information. 

ILA Program Advisor

Dr. Angela Beumer Johnson

Students with Completed Undergraduate Degrees

The graduate licensure program has many prerequisite courses that must be completed prior to admission to the graduate program. (These are undergraduate courses that may be taken for graduate credit if necessary for financial aid.) If you are a student with an undergraduate degree that is NOT English: Integrated Language Arts:

  1. Contact one of the licensure advisors in the College of Health, Education, and Human Services (CHEH) (378 Allyn)  to review your ED requirements. You will receive a checklist of courses you need to take in order to be eligible to apply for the graduate and licensure program in CHEH.
  2. Contact the school chair, Dr. Alpana Sharma, for a transcript review. 
  3. Follow up with the undergraduate director of Integrated Language Arts, Dr. Sally Lamping, for advising throughout your prerequisite coursework, as she will be your primary advisor.

Please be aware that the following are requirements for all students who plan to apply to the graduate and licensure year in CHEH:

  • A score of 220 or higher on the Pearson OAE Test
  • An undergraduate GPA of 2.7 or higher.
  • A grade of C or better in all content area courses, including 1000 level English courses.


Undergraduate Students

If you are a new history major, whether transferring in or starting here at Wright State, you will first meet with the chair of the department for a welcome and a handshake. All history majors are assigned a faculty advisor, one of the department’s professors who will guide you through your major program and provide advice regarding careers and graduate study. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your advisor at least each semester prior to scheduling your courses. Getting to know your advisor and your advisor getting to know you will help when it is time for letters of recommendation or if there is a problem with the university experience and you do not know where to turn for help. 

  • If you do not have an assigned faculty adviser, please contact Tracey Hill, the department support supervisor.
  • In the semester before you plan to graduate, you will need to schedule a meeting for a graduation check with Arvind Elangovan, the associate chair. Contact Tracey Hill to schedule this appointment. Dr. Elangovan can also help you if you have problems contacting your faculty advisor or if you would like to change to a new advisor.
  • If you have questions about the Wright State Core or college requirements, you may also contact Ann Barr, advisor for history majors in the College of Liberal Arts advising office.

View general course descriptions for history department courses. The specific list of classes to be offered in a given semester will be available several months in advance. A sample four-year graduation plan is linked on each degree page. More information on the major, minors, and graduate program is available on our homepage.

Transfer Students

Are you a potential transfer student who wants to study history at Wright State? We have history transfer agreements with several community colleges across Ohio. We accept transfer credits from all regionally accredited institutions as well as all branches of the military. Furthermore, students can earn credit through Prior Learning Assessment, such as CLEP and AP.  If you don’t see a transfer agreement for your institution, you can meet with an advisor to map an individualized pathway.

Graduate Students

The Director of the Graduate Program in History, including Public History, is Dr. Sean Pollock. Students should meet with him each semester to plan their programs of study.

Pre-Health Advising Program

Wright State enrolls hundreds of students interested in pursuing careers in the health professions. The Pre-Health Advising Program provides support to these students in collaboration with academic and university honors advisors.

Liberal Studies

All liberal studies students are encouraged to contact the program director whenever you have questions about the program, want to review your progress toward graduation, or would like to discuss your future career. 

It is particularly important to receive advising prior to registration every semester. Regular advising ensures that you are taking the right courses at the right time in your academic career, so that you can finish your degree in a timely fashion and in good academic standing. 

To ask a question or make an appointment, contact: Dr. Kelli Zaytoun, director of the liberal studies program.

Religion, Philosophy, and Classics

The faculty in the Department of Religion, Philosophy, and Classics are committed to advising. We want to see you in our classes and in our offices. We understand that some of the most important parts of a college education occur outside the classroom.

If you have questions from a class discussion or an assigned reading, if you are struggling with an assignment or excited about a paper topic, if you are thinking of graduate school or don’t know what to do when you graduate, come talk with us.

Most important, you should get regular advising.

  • Regular advising contributes to student success. If you take courses before you are ready, overload your schedule with too many credit hours, or put off required courses you will likely struggle in your schoolwork and fail to perform to your potential.
  • Regular advising ensures you know WHAT courses they should take and WHEN you should take them. It will help you make steady progress toward graduation, and make it more likely you will graduate on time.
  • Regular advising helps you plan for the future. Thinking of graduate school? Ask your faculty advisor for more information. Applying for a job? Ask your faculty advisor for a letter of recommendation. Confused? Brainstorm with your faculty advisor about possible careers.

Frequently Asked Questions


  • I am considering attending Wright State and have questions about the courses and programs offered by the Religion, Philosophy, and Classics Department. Who can I talk to?

    Dr. Ava Chamberlain, is a good place to start.

    Faculty who specialize in particular subjects, may also be helpful.

  • I am considering applying to Wright State. Can I attend a Religion, Philosophy, or Classics class to see what they are like?

    Yes! Contact Dr. Ava Chamberlain, the Department Chair, to arrange for a visit.


  • Why do I need advising? Can’t I figure out everything with a degree audit report?

    A degree audit report is an important tool. It tells you what you need to take, but it cannot substitute for advising.

    Regular advising ensures

    • steady progress toward graduation
    • that you understand what courses you should take and the order in which you should take them
    • that you complete your major/minor on time and that you are not missing any requirements when you are ready for graduation
  • What is the difference between COLA advising and faculty advising?

    The staff of the COLA advising office advises you about your overall program of study, including GE requirements, COLA requirements, and Religion, Philosophy, and Classics department requirements.

    Faculty advisors advise you about Religion, Philosophy, and Classics Major/Minor requirements and particular class offerings. They also provide guidance about your overall program of study.

  • How often should I meet with a COLA advisor?
    • When you first declare your major and so become a student in the College of Liberal Arts. In this meeting the COLA advisor will make an overall assessment of the courses you need to take to make steady progress toward graduation.
    • When you are nearing completion of your degree. In this meeting the COLA advisor can review your DARS report to ensure that you have met all graduation requirements.
  • When should I meet with my faculty advisor?
    • When you first declare your major. Your faculty advisor can explain to you the courses you need to take to complete the major, and how to organize your program of study.
    • Once a semester, during registration period. Your advisor can provide information about particular course offerings, and ensure that you are taking the requirements that you need.
    • When you are ready to graduate. Your faculty advisor can review your record to ensure that you have met all Religion Department requirements.
  • Who is my faculty advisor?

    All Religion, Philosophy, and Classics majors and minors are assigned a faculty advisor when they declare the major or minor. Your faculty advisor will be listed at the top of your degree audit.

    The department chair, Dr. Ava Chamberlain, also welcomes all students in the department to meet with her for advising.

  • How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

    All department faculty hold open office hours every week. You may meet with your advisor during these times.

    To meet with your advisor outside regular office hours, you should set up an appointment by emailing the faculty member. Visit the Faculty and Staff Directory page of our site for contact information about Religion, Philosophy, and Classics Department faculty.

  • How and when do I apply for graduation?

    You apply for graduation through RaiderConnect.

    You should apply for graduation several months prior to your intended date of graduation. Application deadlines are announced on the University Calendar and on RaiderConnect.

    You will need to meet with the department chair for a graduation check as part of the application process.


Courses and Degrees


Social Science Education

Your degree audit will help you plan your course of study, but given that our degree program is more complex than the average, it is particularly important for social science education majors to consult advisors regularly.

For advising on CORE classes, contact the COLA advising office in 120 Millett.

For advising in the major, you will be sent a letter upon acceptance into the program which specifies your advisor. Don’t hesitate to ask questions by email or make an appointment with your advisor should you feel confused or are experiencing difficulties. We’re here to help!

All seniors should make an appointment with the program director, after they have registered for their final semester of classes, for a graduation check.


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.