Why Choose Religion?
Because religion is an integral part of human culture and society, a religion minor is a fitting complement to any liberal arts discipline. Think of adding a religion minor if you have an interest in religious studies that is not satisfied by your major subject. A minor in religion will not only allow you to pursue this interest in greater depth but also likely help you understand more fully your major subject.
Academics and Curriculum
- Introductory Sequence: Religion minors should complete the Introductory sequence of courses as soon as possible, for these classes provide the foundation for advanced studies in religion.
- What Is Religion (REL 2050) introduces you to the basic theories and methods in the study of religion.
- Nonwestern Religion (REL 2320) introduces you to the academic study of major nonwestern religious traditions of the world.
- Bible, Qur'an, and Western Culture (REL 2040) introduces you to the formation, historical development, and influence of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- Electives: Religion minors must take a minimum of four upper-level religion electives. These courses may be chosen from any of the five listed areas. You may concentrate your work in one area or spread it out over several areas.
- American Religions: This area covers the history and diversity of religion in the United States, from the colonial period to the present.
- Biblical Studies: This area covers both the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and the New Testament, and includes literary, critical, and thematic studies of the biblical texts.
- South Asian Religions: This area covers the religious traditions of India, including the history and development of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism.
- East Asian Religions: This area covers the religious traditions of Japan and China, including Buddhism, Confucianism, Daoism, Zen, and Shinto.
- Western Religions: This area covers the history and development of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
View religion minor program information and degree requirements in the Academic Catalog.
Religion Minor Checklist (PDF)
If you are a current student go to the WINGS Express Major/Minor change request form or talk to your advisor about adding a minor.