Adjunct Faculty Handbook

Rev. July 2015

Welcome to the College of Liberal Arts at Wright State University!

For those of you who are new to Wright State—thank you for joining us. We look forward to working with you. For those of you who continue to teach at Wright State—thank you for returning.  We appreciate your dedication to our students.

This handbook contains helpful information and links to useful sites. It is meant to provide a convenient starting point for college- and university-wide policies and procedures. Of course, the best source is often your Department Chair, Administrative Specialist, or Faculty Liaison, especially if the question is department specific.

Please let us know if you discover errors or omissions. We hope you enjoy your time here.

Human Resources Information

New employees can visit the human resources website and find a link to a selection of open sessions that will enable you to fill out the new hire paperwork. Please register for one of the sessions and print and complete the necessary forms prior to your session.


As soon as you receive a university contract, you will be given a Wright State email account. This is the best account to use when communicating with students, faculty and staff. If you have your Wright State email forwarded to another account, security is compromised during the transfer. Be careful to keep sensitive matters within Wright State mail. In other words, when discussing particular students, do not send emails through your second or personal account. In addition, when sending emails about particular students, do not put the student’s UID number in the header.

ID Numbers

You will receive a campus username and password that will allow you to access the WINGS area of the Wright State computer system. Your campus ID will begin with a “w” and include your initials

You will also receive a University ID (UID) number and PIN. The UID will begin with “u00” and not include any other letters. Your UID replaces your social security number and allows you access to WINGS Express and sensitive material such as grades, student information, registration overrides, pay stubs, library access, etc.

ID Card

To obtain an ID card, you must show a completed Wright1 Card Authorization Form from Human Resources.  It needs to be completed by the Administrative Specialist. The form then needs to be taken to 055 Student Union (775-5542) to have your card made, and you will have to show a photo ID. Your first card will be free, but replacement cards carry a nominal fee. In addition to being your University ID card, you can put money on it for use at the vending machines. Should you lose your card, the money will be transferred to your new card.


If you teach at night, you may want to obtain keys to your department office and the adjunct faculty office. Without these, you will be unable to check your mailbox and make copies after the office closes at 5:00 p.m. To get your keys, please ask the department Administrative Specialist to fill out a request, which you will take to 065 Allyn Hall (basement), 775-4145. The key shop will call when your key is ready for pickup.


Parking permits and information may be obtained from Parking Services in 224 Medical Sciences or through WINGS Express (employee tab) or by calling 775-5690. They are paid for by faculty members, and are necessary to park in campus lots. Parking passes may be purchased for an academic year or a semester.

Pay Information

Your pay will be direct deposited into the account you indicate on your initial paperwork on the last day of the month. Pay stubs are available on WINGS Express, under the Employee tab (first log into WINGS with your w00… login, then from WINGS, log-in to WINGS Express - tab located in upper right hand corner) using your U00… number.

Returning employee contracts will be processed electronically.


Wright State does not permit smoking inside of any building.

University Academic Calendar

The university academic calendar, includes semester beginning and ending dates, holidays, and other deadlines.

University Closure

If the university closes because of bad weather you will find an announcement on the homepage of the Wright State website. If you like, you can sign up to receive notice of campus closing by text or email by going to WINGS Express, then the Personal Information tab, then Manage Wright State Alert-Emergency Notification.

Department Mailbox

You will have a mailbox within the department office suite. Check it frequently for phone messages and other communications from students, faculty, or staff.


A printer/copy machine is available in each department; please see the Administrative Specialist for your personal code if you need to make copies and for information about any departmental copying policies. Please use Pilot to post any supplemental materials online so as to not waste paper.

Office Hours

You should be available 2-3 hours a week at convenient times for your students. Please let the Administrative Specialist know when you will have office hours and post them on your syllabus.

Pilot Online Course Management System

Wright State uses an online course management system called Pilot, which is managed by the Center for Teaching and Learning. For information about Pilot follow this link: http://www.wright.edu/ctl/tutorials/pilot/


The Administrative Specialist or Department Chair can provide you with copies of sample syllabi to use as models. Please be sure to include the following information on your syllabus:

  • Your name and contact information
  • Office hours and office location
  • Required texts
  • Purpose and goals for the class
  • Course requirements, including reading and writing assignments and tests with due dates
  • Policy on grading
  • Attendance policy
  • Policy for make-up tests
  • Policy on cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc. if applicable
  • Academic integrity policy
  • Opportunity for tutoring, study sessions if available
  • Any days when class might be cancelled because of your prior commitment and an alternative learning assignment
  • Request that students with documented disabilities inform the instructor of any needed accommodations

Examinations, papers or other components of the grade for each undergraduate class must be scheduled so that students have feedback and can make informed judgments about their progress during the first half of the course (no later than the end of the seventh week of each Fall or Spring semester).

Posting the Syllabus

Please do not print or make copies of the syllabus. At least a week before the first day of classes, you must post your course syllabus to Pilot. Please send an email to your class list, letting your students know that the syllabus is available. Ask them to print it and bring it to the first class session. Make sure to carefully explain key points and policies at the first class meeting. Send a copy of your syllabi to the Administrative Specialist by the end of the first week of class.

Graduate Courses

If you are slated to teach a graduate level course you must be on the graduate faculty.  Contact your Department Chair for information about how to apply for graduate faculty membership or follow this link to the application form: http://www.wright.edu/sites/www.wright.edu/files/page/attachments/Grad_Faculty_Form_10_25_13a.pdf

Class Lists

Class lists are available on Pilot. To access Pilot, enter WINGS with your w00… login and password. Click on ACADEMICS, select the appropriate term and select the class from the list. To email your students from WINGS, simply click on Email. If you have a student in attendance whose name is not on the list, please advise the student and see the Administrative Specialist to check the student’s status.

Disability Services Testing

You may receive notification from Disability Services that one of your students needs to take his/her exams at Disability Services.  The student must apply to be able to do this, and if the student is accepted, you will receive an envelope with yellow reminder slips.  You must email your tests 24 hours ahead of time to ds_testproctor@wright.edu .

Closed Class Permission and Registration Overrides

You have the ability to sign students into your classes at your discretion.  Ask students wishing to add your class to give you their UID number so you do not have to look it up. In order to access this database, you will need to log into WINGS Express. First log in to WINGS using your w00 … number, then choose the WINGS Express tab in the upper right hand corner. Log in to WINGS Express using your U00 … number, choose the FACULTY tab, scroll down to Registration Overrides, and give students Departmental permission, Instructor permission and Closed Class permission.

Dropping/Adding Students

Dropping a class: Students do not need permission from the instructor or department to drop a course. Please encourage a student to drop a course by the drop dates if they have missed many classes. It is always better to drop than to fail.

Adding a class: Permission is required from the instructor or the department if a student wishes to add a class. The fastest way to add a student to your class is to give  him or her permission to do so on WINGS Express (See above instructions on Registration Overrides.). You can also ask the student in question to bring you a green add form for you to sign. Students are generally not permitted to switch sections.

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to audit a course must pay regular fees (unless they are senior citizens). This grants them the same privileges as regular students, but students must obtain department permission to change from credit to audit or from audit to credit by the end of the first week of class. Faculty members are not obligated to correct the papers of auditors, but they usually do.

Course Reserves

Course materials may be put on reserve in the university libraries. For information about this service and how to access it, follow this link: http://libraries.wright.edu/information/borrowing/reserves_information.php


Here are some helpful numbers for classroom problems: For problems with heating, lights, etc., please call Physical Plant at 775-4444. For problems in computer classrooms, please call the CaTS helpdesk at x4827. For computer or overhead issues in regular classrooms, call the Center for Teaching and Learning at 775-3162.

Technological Assistance and Equipment Requests

For problems with Pilot or technology workshops for faculty members, please call The Center for Teaching and Learning, 775-2885. If you teach in a computer lab, call the CaTS Helpdesk at 775-4827. Most classrooms have a computer, a DVD player and a projector. For equipment requests, call Classroom Technology Services at 775-3162.

Class Cancellation

While it is understood that situations arise where you may need to cancel class, this should be a last resort. If you know in advance you need to miss class for any reason, notify your Department Chair. In emergencies, please call the Administrative Specialist so she or a student worker can put a note on your classroom door. As soon as you know you need to cancel class, please send an email to your students so they know in advance.

Final Exam

A final comprehensive exam must be given during finals week (not during the last week of classes), according to official University Policy. The final exam schedule is posted online at http://www.wright.edu/registrar/classinformation/examschedules/


Grades are due by noon on the Wednesday after the last day of final examinations. Instructions for submitting grades are given here: https://www.wright.edu/registrar/grading

It is generally inappropriate to post grades in a public setting. An instructor, may, however, post grades if the grades are posted in such a manner that only the instructor and the individual student can identify the individual and his or her grade. Grades should never by posted by any portion of the social security number or university ID number. Additionally, it is recommended that such a posted list should not be in the same order as the class roster or in alphabetical order.

Student with Questions or Complaints

Students must first approach the instructor with any complaints about the class. The Department Chair should not meet with students who have not first expressed their concerns to the instructor in a meeting outside of class. If the student has first discussed his/her issues during a meeting with the instructor, he or she may then make an appointment with Chair of the Department to address the problem.

Tuition Remission Program

University Policy 8320.9 Adjunct Tuition Remission Program

Printable version of the Liberal Arts Adjunct Faculty Handbook (PDF)


Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Liberal Arts has to offer by visiting campus.