Welcome to Learning English for Academic and Professional Purposes (LEAP), the intensive English program at Wright State University!
The LEAP Intensive English program prepares non-native speakers of English for success in academic and professional programs. LEAP is committed to:
- providing quality English instruction taught by highly qualified instructors.
- offering opportunities to participate in social, cultural, and mainstream curricular activities to facilitate student success in university studies.
- promoting linguistic and cultural diversity and intercultural understanding.
About the Program
LEAP is located on Wright State University’s main campus in Dayton, Ohio, home to the famous Wright Brothers and the world’s first practical airplane, the 1905 Wright Flyer III.
LEAP provides full-time intensive English instruction and offers non-native speakers the linguistic, academic and social skills they need to be successful in an American university. Students come to LEAP for a variety of reasons. Some are here for a short time to improve their English language skills; others seek degrees from Wright State University.
- integrated curriculum which reinforces input and results in greater retention.
- TOEFL substitution for admission to Wright State University for undergraduate and graduate students who successfully complete the LEAP program. Visit the University Center for International Education Admissions page to find out the admission criteria for available programs.
- Test Preparation course offered to Level 4 students to practice for IELTS and TOEFL tests.
- experienced faculty, all with advanced degrees in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or a related field.
- writing classes in computer labs using the latest computer technology.
- collaboration with Wright State University’s TESOL Program and other university courses.
- field trips to local sites of interest and other extracurricular activities.
- access to all Wright State University’s academic and recreational facilities.