The Wright State University Horn and Trombone Festivals bring together musicians from all over Ohio and beyond. Participants will have to opportunity to attend masterclasses, clinics, and recitals with our special guest artist/ensemble the Eastman Brass Quintet, Jonas Thoms, Instructor of Horn and Gretchen McNamara, Lecturer of Trombone at Wright State University. Participants will also perform in a horn or trombone festival ensemble.
The festivals will also host the Fourth Annual Solo Competition, this year for Horn and Trombone. Competition qualifications and deadlines are listed below.
- Masterclasses and performances by Participants interested in performing in the masterclasses with Peter Kurau, horn, or John Marcellus, trombone must submit a registration form by January 10, 2014.
- All participants under the age of 18 must submit a Medical Form (PDF).
- This event is FREE.
|11:30 am – 1:00 pm||Registration in the Creative Arts Center Lobby|
|11:30 am||Final Rounds of the Solo Competition
Trombone – Recital Hall, Horn - Schuster Hall
|1:00 pm||Participant Ensemble Rehearsals
Trombone - M162, Horn - M152
|2:00 pm||Trombone Master Class John Marcellus – Room M162
Trombone Master Class with Peter Kurau - Schuster Hal
|3:30 pm||Clinic Choice
Horn Building Presentation
Darin Sorley – M146
The Well-Tempered Musician: Playing Nicely with Others
Ben Coy – M152
|4:30 pm||Horn and Trombone Participant Ensemble and Solo Competition
Winners Recital – Schuster Hall
|5:45 pm||Dinner Break|
|7:00 pm||Eastman Brass Quintet Recital - Schuster Hall|
Solo Competition for Horn and Trombone
- Preliminary Round (Recorded Round): Postmarked by December 16, 2013
- Notification of Finalists: January 10, 2014
- Final Round (Live Round): January 20, 2014, 12:00pm
- Trombone Student: 1st Place: $200
- Trombone Young Artist: 1st Place: $250
- Horn Student: 1st Place: $200
- Horn Young Artist: 1st Place: $250
The winner of each division will perform on a recital later the same afternoon (January 20, 2014) at Wright State University’s Horn and Trombone Festivals.
The runner-up in each division will perform in a master class with Eastman Brass Quintet members Peter Kurau, horn, and John Marcellus, trombone later the same afternoon (January 20, 2014) at Wright State University’s Horn and Trombone Festivals.
Entry Fee: $25
Entry fee payment is now online and can be made by using:
Competition Eligibility and Repertoire
Student Division – Students must be enrolled in high school or home schooled at the high school level
Young Artist Division – Applicants must be enrolled in college at the Undergraduate Level
- All competitors must record a solo of their choice not to exceed 10 minutes.
- The preliminary round may be recorded with or without piano accompaniment.
- The final round will be performed live with piano accompaniment and an accompanist will be provided if needed.
- Difficulty of repertoire will be considered when selecting finalists.
- Two or three finalists will be selected from each category to perform in the final round on January 20, 2014
- All applicants must be available to perform in the LIVE FINALS ROUND on campus Monday January 20, 2014.
- Rehearsals with accompanist (if needed) will be scheduled for the morning of January 20, 2014.
- Winners must be available to perform on a recital in the late afternoon on Monday, January 20, 2014.
Applying for the Competition and Submitting Your Recording
Recordings must be postmarked by December 16, 2013, either by mail or e-mail.
No recording will be considered without submission of the application fee.
Electronic submissions should be in MP3 format. Mailed submissions may be submitted on a CD or flash drive (MP3 format).
Please complete the application form and submit it with your recording.
Electronic Submission MP3 files should be emailed directly to:
- Gretchen McNamara (trombone only) - email@example.com
- Jonas Thoms (horn only) – firstname.lastname@example.org
US Mail Submission
Please mail materials postmarked no later than December 16, 2013 to Gretchen McNamara (trombone only) or Jonas Thoms (horn only) at:
Solo Competition for Horn and Trombone
Wright State University
Department of Music
3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy.
Dayton, OH 45435-0001