The M.A. in TESOL provides training in language theory, pedagogy, and applied linguistics, with the opportunity to combine this knowledge with the basic skills necessary to teach writing. The TESOL endorsement (added to licensure in the state of Ohio) may be completed within the TESOL M.A.
Course Requirements for M.A. in TESOL
- For all candidates: ENG 4710 or 6710 Introduction to Linguistics or the equivalent (should be taken prior to or at the beginning of the program)
- For the endorsement: See the Director of TESOL for program details.
Core Courses (6 hours)
- ENG 7030 Methods & Materials of Research in Writing and Language
- ENG 7130 Discourse Analysis
7000 Level Courses (15 hours)
- ENG 7510 TESOL Speaking and Listening
- ENG 7520 TESOL Reading and Writing
- Three additional 7000 level courses in writing or language, at least one of which must be a seminar.
6000 Level Courses (15 hours)
- ENG 6730 TESOL Theory and Culture OR ENG 6700 TEFL Theory and Culture
- ENG 6750 TESOL Grammar
- ENG 6760 TESOL Assessment
- ENG 6740 TESOL Practice and Materials OR ENG 6790 TEFL Practice and Materials
- ENG 6940 TESOL Internship
Students who qualify have several options on and off campus for the internship, including a six month internship in Japan.