A minor in a foreign language greatly enhances a student's career prospects. For the minor in Chinese, students are encouraged to participate in an Ambassador Program abroad to China.
To declare a Minor in Chinese, students should consult with their academic advisor and with the Chinese Minor advisor. Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or better to be accepted into the minor.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Be able to understand, speak, read and write Mandarin Chinese at an "Intermediate Mid" level as defined by the proficiency criteria of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
- Understand and respect cultural differences leading to effective interaction within a Chinese-speaking society and in any culturally complex situation.
- Have a foundation in one of more of the following areas: geography, history and literary tradition of the Chinese-speaking world.
- Understand the impact China and Chinese culture and language have had and continue to have on other cultures.
- Develop strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
For additional information: